Our ongoing discussions on Innovate For The Future.FM. continually remind organizations that transformative leadership should be at the very heart of everything that they do and all that they stand for. A company simply can’t achieve its innovation, change, and transformation goals without the right team to support and cultivate those achievements and aspirations. Companies don’t transform, innovate, and change; people do. Leaders do. YOU do!
In this fifth of five Innovate for the Future episode with retired U.S. Army Major Generals, Robert W. Mixon, Jr., and John Batiste about their trademarked, transformative leadership principles.
Developed by Robert and John, The Big Six™ model and this information packed 40 minute episode is focused on these six components:
- Set the Azimuth (defined as the cardinal direction on a compass)
The best leaders provide clarity of mission, drive out complacency and “false urgency,” are concise, and repeat themselves often.
Great leaders treat their teammates with dignity and respect. Listening is an acquired skill and “two heads are always better than one.”
- Trust and Empower
Set the azimuth and encourage initiative. Pick your teammates carefully and trust them to do the right thing. A leader who micro-manages is insecure.
- Do the Right Thing When No One is Looking
Always strive to “do the harder right rather than the easier wrong.” Leaders live in a glass house and are watched 24/7.
- When in Charge, Take Charge
“Lead, follow, or get out of the way.” Build a team where it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.
- Balance the Personal and Professional
A leader without balance can destroy an organization. Without clear azimuth, there can be no delegation, and without delegation, there will be no balance.
The Show Notes
- NEW 2 Day Workshop – Dirk, John and Robert are co-developing this May 11-12, 2016 leadership workshop – Click For Information
- Level Five Associates
- Big Six Leadership Principles
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – How Leaders Create A Bias For Action
- Episode 2 – Developing A Culture Of Excellence
- Episode 3 – What Does Your Company Stand For?
- Episode 4 – Reinventing Business Models: Lessons From The U.S. Army
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here