L.T. Gibson is out to change and industry. And to change an industry you need a vision.
As CEO of U.S. LBM, a six year old, billion dollar distributor of building materials, L.T. dreamt of a business, not rooted in the past, but one that leads customers, suppliers, employees, and the industry into the future.
It’s a different mindset when you go out to create a company and the entire reason you create the company is to change the industry. L.T. Gibson
In this first of five podcast episodes with L.T. we drill down deep to understand not only how such a bold vision was created, but maybe more importantly how the vision has become a tool of change, transformation and innovation at U.S. LBM.
As L.T. discusses the achievement of such a bold vision – changing the industry is not easy. It does require the right people and the right culture. The reason most organizations, L.T. suggests, are pulled back to the perceived safety of the status quo, is because the status quo is simple. It’s known. Yet, what he finds so rewarding as a leader is seeing what obstacles can be obliterated and what the team can achieve together.
In this amazing conversation, L.T. reminds us that we control our destiny. And it all starts with vision.
In this 31 minute episode L.T. and I discuss:
- How vision allows for innovation to occur through a safety net
- How to provide the freedom to drive change
- The boldness of a vision to change an industry
- Why in a world of change, you must focus on the constant
- How to make sense of a noisy world
- Why you can’t afford not to fail
- How to find the resources to innovate (hint: Look to your people)
- Unleashing the genius within your organization
- The power in bringing in ideas from outside the industry
- Why leaders must craft a compelling story for the organization
- Why command and control doesn’t work in today’s environment
- Controlling our destiny
The Show Notes
- L.T. Gibson
- U.S. LBM
- U.S. LBM Named 2015 Pro Dealer of the Year
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part U.S. LBM Podcast Series
- Episode 2 – Culture at the Epicenter of Change … and Meaning
- Episode 3 – Getting close to the customer to provide unmatched value (Monday June 22)
- Episode 4 – Flipping the business model 180 degrees (Monday June 29)
- Episode 5 – Leading in an age where the traditional management structures must be rethought (Monday July 6)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here