How do you get better? How do you create a culture where continuous improvement is built into everything you do. And, how do you create a culture where everybody looks beyond their functional responsibilities to understand the holistic nature of the business and how they create value for the customer?
These are some of the big questions that L.T. Gibson, CEO of building materials distributor US LBM have asked and built the business around.
“We’ve taken the top down approach completely out of the business.” L.T. Gibson
In this episode, L.T. opens up his heart, and his culture. Beyond the basics he shares some contrarian views that has led to the development of the US LBM culture – a culture that attracts the brightest and smartest to an industry that is not known for doing so. A culture that as L.T points out is built around continuous improvement.
Not just treating customers better – helping them get better. Not just treating employees better, helping them learn, grow, and move forward.
You do that and you have yourself an unstoppable team of change agents who are working together to achieve great things
In this 31 minute episode L.T. and I discuss:
- Why culture must be at the center of everything you do, every decision you make, every hire you bring in.
- How to eliminate silos within your organization
- The importance of not managing the company to the average
- The role incentives play in creating a culture
- Drilling down – Do people really want to change?
- How to unleash the latent desire to make a different
- Tools that every leader can use to catalyze change and improvement
- How to attract the brightest and smartest
- How to create a culture that the newer generation wants to invest time and themselves into
- The one thing to change in your strategy meetings
The Show Notes
- L.T. Gibson
- U.S. LBM
- U.S. LBM Named 2015 Pro Dealer of the Year
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part U.S. LBM Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – Setting Out To Change An Industry – The Power of Vision
- Episode 3 – Getting close to the customer to provide unmatched value (Monday June 22)
- Episode 4 – Flipping the business model 180 degrees (Monday June 29)
- Episode 5 – Leading in an age where the traditional management structures must be rethought (Monday July 6)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here