Chuck Cohen, managing director of Benco Dental believes every business needs to reinvent itself every generation or so. Yet, he acknowledges that this is very difficult for many businesses – especially family owned businesses.
He reminds us that being comfortable is not a winning strategy. Innovation leadership according to Chuck and Julie Radzyminski, Benco’s director of business innovation, is the art and science of creating the appropriate drivers for change through a relentless, aggressive, yet practical innovation strategy.
The strategy is grounded in the corporate Guiding Ideas as well as quantified and qualified innovation metrics.
In this fifth episode with Benco’s leadership team, Chuck and Julie openly share what they’ve learned through success and failure as they have institutionalized the innovation commitment throughout the organization.
In this 39 minute episode Chuck and I discuss:
- The role of strategic communication in leadership
- The importance of rhythm and cadence to communication
- Why leaders reinvent the business every generation
- What it means to have each department “localize” the company’s guiding ideas
- The “warm bed” trap many family businesses fall into
- The importance of being relentless, aggressive, yet practical
- Developing An Innovation Team
- The principal of “Diversify Entrepreneurially”
- How Benco quantifies their innovation efforts
- What organizational commitment to innovation looks like
- The innovation journey – from loose to committed
- Building processes to support innovation
- The balance between entrepreneurial spirt and devils advocate
- Why you need to start thinking bigger
- Change that… Why you need to think significantly
The Show Notes
- Benco Dental
- Benco 2014 Annual Report
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – Navigating To A Distant Horizon: Vision and Innovation
- Episode 2 – Culture As A Differentiator
- Episode 3 – Do You Know Lucy Hobbs? You Should!
- Episode 4 – How To Innovate When You Are Being Disrupted … To Become The Disrupter
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here