Culture is talked about more and more. But what is culture and how do leaders foster the desired culture? This is the essence of this dynamic conversation that I have with Mike Smith, president and CEO of OneSource Distributors.
Mike knows that fostering an engaged culture is not about the “touchy-feely”. It must be worked, intentional and purposeful.
Mike explains specifically how he and his leadership team at OneSource gets every employee engaged in the success of the organization and feeling that they own a part of that success. Helping everyone understand that they are critical to developing and implementing winning solutions is at the heart of Mike’s focus on culture.
In this 34 minute episode Mike and I discuss:
- How to break down silos and create a culture of collaboration
- The imperative nature of coaching
- Three pillars of culture – Engagement, collaboration, and roles
- How to get rid of the ‘We’s’ and ‘They’s’ to focus on ‘Team’
- The importance of peer-coaching-peer
- A two-day culture experiment that led to deeper engagement
- The transformative power of getting cross functional front line employees in the same room
- The criticality of youth
- Why you must obliterate the tradition of “PayingYour Dues”
- Why the CEO’s job is not to fix stuff
- Why you should be the last to speak
- How to fold youth into a legacy business
NOTE: Look for a bonus episode on Wednesday, where we will sit down with a few of the youth that Mike talks about being key to the future.
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here
The Show Notes
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – The Future Happened Yesterday … How Do We Get Ahead of It
- Episode 3 – Value Proposition
- Episode 4 – Business Model Innovation
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership