When Mike Smith joined OneSource Distributors as their Chief Operation Officer in 2005, the owner of the company gave him a one line job description – “Make technology a differentiator.”
Today as the president and CEO of OneSource he continues down that path as it has grown five-times since the technology differentiator mandate.
In this discussion, Mike shares the path and the journey he has led … and continues to lead his organization down. It begins with two large buckets the first is the ability for technology to enhance the customer experience through mobile, the digital platforms, and e-commerce. Then there is the second, there is the internal facing that’s built around the functions and the disciplines that the organization needs internally.
Mike’s vision is to empower his team through digital tools to do something better than his competitor… that is valued by his customer.
And here is the thing. Mike knows that things are changing incredibly fast and as a result creates an environment that as he says … drags themselves into the future to create a business tomorrow that looks much different than today.
As Mike shares in this interview … The future happened yesterday … and he asks … how do we get ahead of it.
In this 44 minute episode Mike and I discuss:
- Where and how to begin making technology a differentiator
- Using technology to implement a disciplined sales process
- The value of having your own developers
- The two “buckets” of the digital platform of the future
- The impact of changing demographics on your digital future
- A digital vision that meets the needs of a changing customer
- Balancing the needs of today’s customers with those of tomorrows customer
- Why Mike believes his job is to figure out how to break their current model
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here
The Show Notes
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Podcast Series
- Episode 2 – Getting Ahead of the Future Through A Culture of Engagement
- Episode 3 – Value Proposition
- Episode 4 – Business Model Innovation
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership