At APR Supply, their visioning process begins with a goal to double the size of the business every five years.
As I talk with APR president and CEO, Scott Weaver he explains both the why and the how of achieving the goal. They use a five-year time horizon around which he and the other six executive leaders meet off-site quarterly to define what they should be doing, how they should be acting, and where the focus needs to be to continue moving towards the goal.
Rather than growing for growth’s sake, Scott explains why the growth is important to APR’s 270 associates. As he describes:
If we garner more market share, grow, prosper and innovate – and be better tomorrow than we are today, we all have better lives.
In this 36 minute episode Scott and I discuss:
- The need for leaders to paint the picture of what the company looks like in the future
- How the cadence of quarterly offsite strategy meetings insures time working on the business, rather than in the business
- Why after 15 years Scott decided to have these strategy sessions facilitated by a consultant rather than continuing to lead the discussion himself
- What the visioning process looks like at APR Supply
- Why doubling the size of the business every five years is important to the employees of APR
- The importance of succession planning
- An interesting take on customer focus … defining your employees as leadership’s customer
- What most company’s focus on, yet the rank and file employee doesn’t care about
- That two out of every three APR employees have leadership positions in the community and how this contributes to APR’s culture, growth and success.
- The defined process and training for developing leaders throughout the business
- Identifying the talent and leadership needs through the coming generational retirements and transitions
- The role Will plays in business and leadership
- How he mitigates risk while doubling the business every five years
The Show Notes
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Podcast Series
- One North of Fantastic: Creating and Nurturing a Fantastic Culture
- Episode 3 – APR Differentiating Value Proposition
- Episode 4 – APR Unique & Innovative Business Model
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here