When many distributors struggle in defining their real value, Rod Fallow, president of Swagelok Northern California believes that it is a real, intense, and deep focus on the customer where significant value and innovation begins.
While their product catalog is full of high quality and reliable fluid system products like filters, fittings, hoses, quick connects and more Rod believes that he is in the customer satisfaction business. They are committed to satisfy their customers by helping them reduce costs, improve productivity, and increase throughput. And yes, they do sell a lot of fluid system components in the process.
This commitment does not just happen through the will of leadership. A tangible value proposition is required that embeds Swagelok into their customer’s business. To that end Swagelok Northern California has intentionally and strategically developed an ecosystem of deep expertise that begins with deeply understanding the customer and their needs to the point where they start to see what the customer needs before the customer does.
But once these needs are identified rather than a series of isolated value added services, Swagelok Northern California has designed an ecosystem of inter-related and interdependent capabilities, processes, and systems that deliver customer outcomes.
Rod and I discuss this ecosystem of deep expertise in this compelling episode.
In this 29 minute episode Rod and I discuss:
- Why most distributors are stuck in a world of sameness
- How to continually feel the pulse of the customer to identify unmet needs
- Beyond platitudes – How to make quality and expertise real differentiators
- The importance of delivering a deep expertise
- Should differentiation be our focus?
- Why too much focus on the competition limits us
The Show Notes
- Meet Rod Fallow
- Swagelok Norther California
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Rod Fallow Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – How To Become Your Customers Favorite Story
- Episode 2 – Locking Down Company Culture
- Episode 4 – Business Model
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership
Links will be provided with each episode broadcast.
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here