As Todd Talbot took over as President at Fluidmaster, turnover was peaking at about 30% per year. At best an average company to be a part of. Within four years, and a intention transformation of the culture, that turnover has been slashed to around 7% and Fluidmaster is now ranked as one of the top places to work in Orange County California.
Todd went to work establishing a culture that people can thrive under. This required creating a culture where the employees are comfortable in the workplace, believe in the workplace, believe in the vision and what’s being done inside the four walls and within the local community. You get that, and there’s a sense of pride. There’s a sense of desire there for the company to succeed.
And it is this culture that has the 1,400 employees aligned, committed, and working together to make Fluidmaster the leader in the industry.
A culture transformation is not for the feint of heart. Or for those without strong convictions. As Todd shares with us, leaders must allow people to see who you they are. These leaders must wear their colors on their sleeves.
It’s that bold step of becoming vulnerable which requires some humility and some humbleness but doing that will take you a long way with your people.
In this 33 minute episode Todd and I discuss:
- Culture is a full time job
- Bridging the culture from one generation – one leader to the next.
- Communication at the heart of culture
- Feeling the pulse of company culture to identify stresses and moving accordingly
- The realities and challenges of fostering an innovative culture
- The importance of meaning beyond the balance sheet
- Creating a culture that your are employees are proud of
- Connecting community, giving, and profits
The Show Notes
- Fluidmaster: Pioneering Innovation For 50 Years
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Todd Talbot Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – The Fluidmaster Way: Bold Growth Through Disciplined Progress
- Episode 3 – Creating a differentiated value proposition (August 31)
- Episode 4 – Three critical path strategies define the business model (September 7)
- Episode 5 – How innovative leaders lead (September 14)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here