How does one create a juggernaut?
In an earlier post/episode we share how the transformative leadership of Andrew Berlin grew a traditional, non differentiated distributor of bottles and rigid packaging, into a $1.43 billion business. Into a juggernaut.
Seeing, the traction, views, social media explosion, and downloads of the five Innovate For The Future.FM podcast shows I had with Andrew, I felt compelled to share his keynote presentation from our 2014 UnleashWD Innovation Summit as a bonus unplanned show.
There is a bit of a twist. You see, UnleashWD is the only innovation summit for distributors. And, it is an industry conference with no industry speakers. “So Dirk,” you might ask, “how can Andrew, the CEO of a distribution firm keynote your event that has no industry speakers?” Fair question.
The twist, is that Andrew is also the owner of a professional baseball team, the South Bend Cubs, which is the minor league affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. When Andrew bought the team several years ago it was in bad shape. Losing so much money the team was about to be moved out of the state.
I won’t go into the story – that’s why I asked Andrew to keynote UnleashWD. To tell the story of how he took a failing franchise and quickly turned it into one of the best run professional sports teams in the country and one that – rather than losing a lot of money, is once again profitable and becoming a juggernaut in it’s own right.
Juggernaut: A huge, powerful, unstoppable force
And you know what’s interesting? As you’ll hear, everything Andrew bought to the South Bend Cubs was Lifted and Shifted from a different business. A different industry. Care to guess which business? You guessed it, Berlin Packaging. A distribution company was the petri dish of innovation, leadership, culture, and a compelling value proposition that transferred to professional sports.
You’ll love this amazing story and the many lessons Andrew shares.
The Show Notes
- South Bend Cubs
- Graphics From Andrews Presentation
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
- Andrew Berlin 2014 UnleashWD Keynote – Video immediately available to members of free UnleashWD Online Community
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Berlin Packaging Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – How Vision, Fantasy, and Execution Grew Berlin Packaging From $69 Million To $1.43 Billion
- Episode 2 – Berlin Packaging Proves That Distribution Can Be Sexy: How To Build A Profitable Business Through A Culture Of Mutual Obligation
- Episode 3 – How Berlin Packaging’s Obliterates The Self Inflicted World Of Sameness Most Distributors Are Trapped In
- Episode 4 – How Berlin Packaging’s Business Model Has Returned Over $250 Million of EBITDA Back To Their Customers
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership The Redefines The Status Quo
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Members Download Transcript Here – Coming Soon
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here