How do innovative organizations achieve great things? Some believe that innovation is the result of one masterful stroke. In reality, as Todd Talbot, president of Fluidmaster describes,the boldness of innovation occurs through disciplined progress towards a vision.
Fluid master is a leading global supplier of fluid management systems. Some would think that engineering the internal flushing mechanisms of toilets is not that exciting of a business.
The leadership and innovation that comes our of this San Juan Capistrano, California based company however is exciting.
Without getting better, being bold, being innovative, being differentiated, your business probably isn’t going to survive.
As Todd describes in this episode, the real risk in business is in – not investing in innovation. If businesses don’t invest in a future of digital business systems, changing market, customer, and consumer demands for example … as Todd reminds us, the business is not going to be successful
So how do you achieve a bold, transformative, and innovative vision. Todd provides a great framework that begins with a foundation making a commitment to the incremental things that add up to the transformation you envision.
In this 35 minute episode Todd and I discuss:
- The imperative of adapting to local market needs
- Looking back to look forward
- The power of vision
- How the words of a vision statement drive the strategies and critical paths of an organization
- Boldness in vision and the associated risk
- Learning from failure
- Finding the courage of boldness
- Technology and digital business
- The real risk is in not investing in the future
- Boldness through disciplined progress
The Show Notes
- Fluidmaster: Pioneering Innovation For 50 Years
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Todd Talbot Podcast Series
- Episode 2 – Fostering a worldwide culture of innovation (August 24)
- Episode 3 – Creating a differentiated value proposition (August 31)
- Episode 4 – Three critical path strategies define the business model (September 7)
- Episode 5 – How innovative leaders lead (September 14)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here