We live in the age of disruption. There is this perfect storm of geo political movement, economic uncertainty, government influence, demographic shifts, and of course the technology revolution.
Joe Nettemeyer is the president and CEO of industrial distributor Valin Corporation in San Jose, CA. Better than most, Joe has a pulse on what these disruptive changes mean to his business and business in general. He is a deep thinker, a voracious reader, and a leader who continually peers into the future to understand the inflection points that will change how distributors and other businesses will do business.
We had about 25 or 30 years where being average and okay gave us everything we wanted. You could go into the workforce with average skills and we had a such dynamic economic growth that that tide lifted all boats. Joe Nettemeyer
At the core of Joe’s believe is that average is over and as such businesses have no alternative but to innovate. In this first of five discussions I have with Joe, he shares his deep insight into what happens to businesses that cling to past successes and the organizational structures we know.
He also paints a vision as to what we all must be considering in this age of disruption to create a relevant and sustainable business. And as he says … if we don’t, we’ll die the death of a thousand cuts.
In this 35 minute episode Joe and I discuss:
- How engagement + responsibility + skill development = vision realized
- Why internal vision trumps external vision
- The confluence of disrupters that create a call for innovation
- How the technology revolution is revolutionizing sales
- Why thought leadership must lead your sales and marketing efforts
- Is distribution still a relationship business
- The growing importance of organization relationships – and the role technology plays
The Show Notes
- Valin Corporation
- Valin Corporation featured on Discovery Channel series “Innovations”
- Q&A With Joe Nettemeyer in Industrial Distribution Magazine
- Thomas Friedman Average Is Over Pt 1
- Thomas Friedman Average Is Over Pt 2
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Joe Nettemeyer Podcast Series
- Episode 2 – Culture Is The Great Differentiator – From Me To WE (July 20)
- Episode 3 – Your Future Is Defined By What Your Organization Stands For (July 27)
- Episode 4 – Business Model Innovation (August 3)
- Episode 5 – Transformative Leadership (August 10)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here