So what do you think about value engineering?
It’s just one topic that Todd Talbot, president of Fluidmaster and I explore as we dig into this innovative company’s business model. You see, we both agree that too many use the term value engineering as code for “I’m going to cross reference a product number and find you a comparable product at a lower price.” No value and no engineering.
A strategic business model on the other hand creates real value in the market for which customers are willing to reward you.
And it’s this focus of bringing enhanced value to customers that Todd views as his job. As he works with OEM manufacturers, distributors, and others the business model has been engineered to provide better solutions that slows any possible commoditization.
In this episode, Todd and I explore how 1 vision and 3 critical path strategies equal a business model to become #1 in the world.
There is a lot here, so jump right in.
In this 33 minute episode Todd and I discuss:
- The dynamics between manufacturer and distributor in defining the business model
- How a (bold) vision impacts a company’s business model
- Fluidmaster’s business model defined as three critical paths
- The importance focus – of saying no
- Developing a global sales effort
- Why we need to rethink “value engineering”
- Why we should be thankful for the tough customers
- How and why the pace of change influences Fluidmaster’s acquisition strategy
- How to build an organization for innovation
The Show Notes
- Fluidmaster: Pioneering Innovation For 50 Years
- INNOVATE! How Successful Distributors Lead Change In Disruptive Times
- Dirk Beveridge Speaking
- UnleashWD Innovation Summit
Other Episodes In The 5 Part Todd Talbot Podcast Series
- Episode 1 – The Fluidmaster Way: Bold Growth Through Disciplined Progress
- Episode 2 – Culture: A Leaders Full Time Job
- Episode 3 – Accused of Selling Commodities? Time To Innovate!
- Episode 5 – How innovative leaders lead (September 14)
* Links will be provided when each episode is published
Members of the free UnleashWD Online community have access to this transcript.
Not A Member? Claim Your Free Membership Here